Pumpkin fun.

So I go to the co-op and ask for 3 whole pumpkins. "WHOLE pumpkins, madam?!?!" "I really like pumpkin..." We are going to carve them for Halloween, but I can't really explain this. I can say 'I really like pumpkin' أود حقا اليقطين in Arabic, I hope that's what I said. You can see where it has the potential to be a bit of a minefield... They were laughing at me, not in a dirty way, so I think I got it right... I hope...


Some things to do with pumpkins:
The easiest way to cook pumpkin for a puree later is to slice it in half, lay the cut sides down on a well oiled baking sheet and bake it. The flesh will steam itself but retain a lot more sweetness than it will if you boil it.

1. Substitute one cup of cooked, pureed pumpkin for banana in banana bread or muffins.
2. Blend pumpkin puree with chili, garlic, and tomatillo salsa for a delicious enchilada sauce.
3. Cook pumpkin puree with sage and butter and serve over pasta (with or without Parmesan cheese).
4. roast chunks of pumpkin with salt pepper and olive oil (toss in a salad with goat cheese, sweet corn, arugula, pomegranate seeds...)
5. Add 1/2 cup cooked pureed pumpkin and 1 tsp. ginger to your pancake recipe.
6. Use 8oz of pumpkin puree in a NY style cheesecake recipe (add an extra egg...).
7. pumpkin pie of course, drizzle it with chocolate ganache for a twist, surprisingly yummy.
8. pumpkin soup with turmeric, curry and ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No advertising for your weird cookbook please...or sex enhancement drugs...just no advertising at all...