Buy one get one free- Chickens!!



So I know that the price of food has gone up- a lot! Part of it for me is the boys, they get to growing and there isnt enough food on the planet, but a big part of it is base prices generally. IE a 10 pack of plain instant oatmeal used to be $1.75 on sale - $2.59 regularly, now it is $3.29 and the sale price is 2/$4.


But now and again I still catch some good deals. I have definitely become more inclined to buy a lot of something that is on sale (if I know I'll use it) because prices are so high. Which brings me to the buy one, get one free chickens that appeared in the market today. Now it's generally unwise to look too closely at cheap meat, figure they can't sell it if it is actually expired and a drop or two of bleach in a gallon of water takes care of myriad problems (JOKING!!!)...


But I do like to take these out of their package and cover them with a generous crust of Kosher salt for about 1/2 hour before washing them really well, wrapping them up in saran AND putting them into a freezer bag. This can be done with or without a marinade.


Today, we had one of these chickens roasted just with a bit of garlic on a bed of mushrooms. One was cut into pieces and marinated in regular good seasons made with balsamic vinegar (everyone loves good seasons- admit it...) one was slathered with crushed garlic, butter and fresh cilantro and the last one was cut up and marinated in penut sauce which I'll probably serve off the bone over noodles.
If the price of food continues in this direction, I may get myself one of those huge deep-freeze deals and put it in my basement. Perhaps a radiation-proof locker full of canned goods too...




No comments:

Post a Comment

No advertising for your weird cookbook please...or sex enhancement drugs...just no advertising at all...