Lamb Rogan Josh- Indian-style stroganoff.

Its not much to look at, but it is tasty.
On the heels of yesterday's total washout of a supper (I hit a personal nadir with scrambled eggs and toast...) I decided I needed to redeem myself and make something delicious which everyone would/ could eat... Yeah, right.
Instead, I had some nice lamb shoulder cubes and decided to make Lamb Rogan Josh. If you Google this dish, the cut of the lamb varies wildly from a bone in shank to the shoulder cubes but I think I quite like it as a stew rather than trying to deal with it as a roast with the bone-in.
one white onion
two cloves garlic
1 thumb of ginger (suddenly American ginger is unavailable here. we have only the Chinese kind and I'm leery of eating stuff from China... so I substituted 1 generous tsp. of powdered).
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garam masala
1/2 tsp. indian chili powder ( I skipped this because of the kids...)
1 lb lamb shoulder cubes
1 16oz can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup full-fat plain yogurt (low fat is possible, just not as good)
cilantro
salt and pepper to taste.

Put your onions in a heavy saucepan with about 1tbsp neutral oil and cook them until browning. Add your meat and spices. If I get meat from the supermarket the same day as I'm cooking it, I put it into a dish with the spices ahead of time, if not, just add the meat and spices to the onions and cook until meat is beginning to brown on the outside. Add the tomatoes and cover. Cook for about 45-50 min on low until meat is very tender. About 10 minutes before serving, blend in the yogurt, avoid boiling it or it will break and you wont get the creaminess you want. Stir in cilantro, salt and pepper to taste just before serving.
Serve over basmati rice with a side of steamed veg. Mostly accepted by the children. Only baby Chuck actually liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No advertising for your weird cookbook please...or sex enhancement drugs...just no advertising at all...