H is for Honeydew Melon and Hubbard Squash or I miss my Dad and my Mom.
My dad loved to eat honeydew melons sprinkled with kosher salt and my mom loved Hubbard squash because it is ugly & you get to smash it on the flagstones outside before cooking it.
Clean a very ripe Honeydew Melon and cut it into dice. Save any juice that runs and mix this with 2 cups fresh lemonade. Fill popsicle molds with melon pieces and pour lemonade over to cover all the fruit. Freeze. Tasty sweet.
Smash your squash on the ground. Pick up and rinse off the pieces. Clean any seeds and place the sections of squash in a roasting pan. Roast until tender (about 45 min, depending).
1. blend squash chunks with stock, spices, and cocoanut milk for soup
2. add roasted squash to a salad
3. make a hubbard squash pie
4. blend some and add it to risotto with some chunky bits
5. make squash fritters, blend with egg, salt, pepper and some buckwheat flour, fry patties.