Rice Pudding


I have been craving rice pudding for breakfast for about a month now. The version I wanted required cardamom and for whatever reason, I cant find it anywhere. I finally decided to give up on the cardamom, temporarily, and make the rice pudding anyway. It was yummy, so here it is.

1 cup short grain brown sweet rice
2 cups of milk
1 tbsp sugar
shake of cinnamon
a slice off a fresh ginger bulb
1 tsp of vanilla
1 egg

Combine everything but the egg in a heavy saucepan. When the milk is beginning to foam, but BEFORE it boils, cover and turn the temperature very low.
Cook the rice until the milk is absorbed. Cool a bit,maybe 10 min, while still hot, whisk in the egg.
Be careful to keep stirring until the egg is fully incorporated or you'll have sweet scrambled eggs (ICK!!!)
Refridgerate overnight and serve cold in the morning with fruit.

This is not a very pudding-y rice pudding. I'm not a big fan of slimy pudding, its kind of chewy. The brown rice insures you wont be hungry by 9am.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Silva! Reading through your blog & checking breakfast recipes. What is brown sweet rice? No one but me likes rice pudding so I rarely make it but I always used leftover rice & then baked everything in the oven. This sounds good. I may give it a try. Just straighten me out on the rice. Thank you! - Danielle

    ReplyDelete

No advertising for your weird cookbook please...or sex enhancement drugs...just no advertising at all...