Childhood Obesity Cake


I've been thinking about the whole 'childhood obesity epidemic' thing a lot lately. And as a chubby kid- back then it was called 'chubby' and it wasnt that big a deal- I can say that being fat as a child does have its drawbacks.

So far, my babies fall solidly in the 'normal' range for childhood BMI (don't get overly concerned with this calculator- it puts too much emphasis on gross weight and not enough on things like waist and thigh measurements...) although Chuck is looking rather a little chunk in the photo. But dont worry, he can do a pull up. (no joke, I didnt believe it myself until he flabbergasted me, and quite a few other moms at the park...) I must say it is important to me that they stay healthy.

That and the price of food has me making my own sweets lately so I can control the sugar, fiber, fat etc. Plus its fun.

Childhood Obesity Cake (good for breakfast)

Oven to 350- grease and flour pan.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup whey protein
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
(FORK SIFT)

1 egg
1 can 'one pie' pumpkin puree
1 small cup applesauce (about 1/4 cup)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup agave nectar
(BLEND INTO DRY INGREDIENTS)

1/2 cup raw unsalted pepita
1/2 cup currants
(MIX IN)
Scoop mixture into a bundt pan- bake for about 50 min. Its delicious, so even the finicky will eat it and with a scrambled egg and some fruit, should keep them full until lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No advertising for your weird cookbook please...or sex enhancement drugs...just no advertising at all...