Buttermilk

Lately, I keep running into recipes that call for buttermilk. Breaded chicken, pancakes, a cake etc. etc. Buttermilk does not seem to be available here in Dubai, leaving me a bit perplexed about what to do.

I tried one buttermilk substitute that involved putting vinegar into whole milk and letting it sit, but the result smelled WAY inedible and I put it down the drain.

I found something though, there is a drinkable unsweetened yogurt here called Laban and it makes an excellent substitute for buttermilk as long as you use the full fat one, not skim.

Laban makes absolutely the most lucious pancakes I have ever ever tasted. Here's the recipe that's a culmination of everything I know about pancakes, but is probably impossible because of continental drift...

1 cup whole wheat King Arthur flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1 cup laban
1 very fresh egg
mix it all together.

Pour onto hot griddle, greased with butter.
Top with fresh blueberries.
Flip when bubbly.
Top with maple syrup or honey.
Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No advertising for your weird cookbook please...or sex enhancement drugs...just no advertising at all...