Restaurant review: Uncle Tony's Pizza and Pasta

Met an old friend (from 3rd grade) the other night at Uncle Tony's Pizza and Pasta which is definitely a dying breed of old fashioned Italian places in RI. One of the hallmarks of these places is the ability to order a platter of meatballs with a side of fries. Kind of the ultimate Italian working man's dinner. We are well out of balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil territory here...

If you look at the menu, you can see its not really a place for the newly cheese free, but they were extremely accommodating about not adding it to my food.

We had salad as an appetizer, nice plain fresh garden salad. Iceburg, no arugula. Their wine vinaigrette was quite tasty. Our friends ordered fried cheese. I assume these were good as they didn't have too much pickup on them and they disappeared pretty quickly. I can't say I miss restaurant fried cheese all that much, never really did it for me in the first place. I dont think the bread coating really works. I will miss halloumi and real fried mozzarella, though.

For dinner, I had something unfortunately named a Plumpy, it was a spinach pie, no cheese, no pepperoni. One of our dining companions had the real deal, which looked much more delicious than mine, the DH had chicken parm, comes with a side of spaghetti and was positively dripping with cheese. Our other dining companion had a grilled chicken sandwich, draped with, you guessed it, cheese...

The food is honest, but really rich. I think reviewing restaurants isn't all that interesting anymore, maybe I'll only review vegetarian restaurants from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

No advertising for your weird cookbook please...or sex enhancement drugs...just no advertising at all...